Sunday 6 January 2019

Favourite books

Alice Draws The Line: Books that inspire me

At Christmas, after I had posted the final orders from the shop, I collected some favourite things from around the house to enjoy over the break between Christmas and the New Year.

I went through my bookshelves and selected books that I've been thinking about but not got as far as to get them out and have a good look at them, re-read, or even start reading them. It's a big and heavy pile and I didn't get through them all and so I'm still working my way through now and thought I'd share here.

I'm going to work through the pile as you see it above.

Alice Draws The Line: Books that inspire me sketchbook

 First up we have a sketchbook. This is a brand new A6, hardbacked, landscape book by Seawhite of Brighton. It's the next one in my pile - I'm not quite able to start it yet as I haven't finished my current one but it's there, poised ready for whatever might fill it's pages. These are my current favorite. Small enough to fit in a bag or pocket and to be closed by a bulldog clip to save the pages from scuffing, or being kept open while painting with the same bit of kit (I'll do another post about the sketching kit I think).

Alice Draws The Line: Books that inspire me Beatrix Potter
 Beatrix Potter is a hero of mine. I have a collection of books about her and this is the latest. I haven't read it yet but am planning on carrying it about until I do!

Alice Draws The Line: Books that inspire me Tara Mohr
After hearing a lot of people talking about this one and Tara Mohr herself being mentioned a lot on podcasts I listen to and instragram feeds that I follow, I thought I would investigate for myself. So far, so gripping. Interesting and thought provoking. I'm nearly finished but think I might just start again when I'm done and make some notes. 

Alice Draws The Line: Books that inspire me Danny GregoryAlice Draws The Line: Books that inspire me Everyday Matters

 This is Everyday Matters by Danny Gregory. This book is responsible for my Drawing a Day habit. I got this book for Christmas in 2008 and also received a sketchbook. I'd been considering doing a drawing everyday and had asked for the book but actually receiving it and enjoying the pictures and accompanying writing made me actually do it. Danny talks about drawing what we actually see rather than what we think we see, and draws a lot of very ordinary, everyday objects (hence the title). The apple on the back cover is a favourite - how many times do we eat an apple and not give it a glance? I couple of times I've tried to recreate this - drawing quickly after every couple of bites - causes you to work quickly and to eat fruit - win, win!

Alice Draws The Line: Books that inspire me Forest Bathing
 As some of you may know, as well as my illustration and hand lettering work, my career used to be teaching and training outdoors - specifically in the woods as a Forest School Leader and Trainer. Although I no longer do this full time and have recently been made redundant, I have a huge passion for being outside and in woodlands. Last summer I took a course in Mindfulness in Woodland Settings and it's opened up a new way of working outside. Following that course I bought this book - Shinrin-Yoku; The Art and Science of Forest-Bathing, how trees can help you find help and happiness. It's interesting and has lovely photos, and just like the woods, I find it nice to dip into and out of.

Alice Draws The Line: Books that inspire me Toast and Marmalade
 Emma Bridgewater - another hero of mine. This book, 'Toast and Marmalade and other stories' also has lovely photos - lots of home life and holiday pictures as well as her iconic designs. It is her story of how 'Emma Bridgewater' the brand came to be and I loved reading it - shows that dreams can become reality if you put the work in.

Alice Draws The Line: Books that inspire me Keeping a Naure JournalBooks that inspire me by Alice Draws The Line - Keeping a Nature Journal by Clare Walker Leslie and Charles E. Roth

 This book 'Keeping a Nature Journal' by Clare Walker Leslie and Charles E. Roth is one I found in an art bookshop years ago. I think it might have been in a bargain section - it was a lucky find anyway and reminds me how valuable sketching is. Quick, seasonal studies, documented in any way -these have the lovely addition of handwritten notes and details which I adore. There is something very appealing about handwritten words that accompany pictures I think.

Reads that inspire me by Alice Draws The Line
These two magazines I've had a subscription to for the last few months. The Simple Things has nice imagery (although I'm not that keen on this cover!), recipes, and nice, seasonal articles. In the Moment magazine is newer to me, but has had some nice articles about creativity, mindfulness and the seasons which crosses across many of my interests. 

Books that inspire me by Alice Draws The Line; Ptolemy DeanBooks that inspire me by Alice Draws The Line; Ptolemy Dean preview

 This is a big book. It's lovely. Many of the illustrations fill double pages. It is Britain's builds, Place and Spaces: the unseen in the everyday by Ptolemy Dean. Stunning drawings - all done in wobbly inky lines with generous watercolour. Accurate interpretations of just as it says - the unseen in the everyday. Lovely normal views that he has taken time to capture through drawing.

Books that inspire me by Alice Draws The Line; Pattern by Orla KielyBooks that inspire me by Alice Draws The Line; Pattern by Orla KielyBooks that inspire me by Alice Draws The Line; Pattern by Orla Kiely

 I like the endpapers alone in this one. There are many books I love the end papers of - maybe that'll be another blog post one day! This is 'Pattern' by Orla Kiely - again just a lovely insight into a brand. Such iconic designs and style and nice to see a bit that is behind that - like the colour swatches on the right hand picture.

That's all for now - I'm off to pick one of these back up and continue where I left off with it.