Saturday 21 December 2013

Festive Sprouts...

I realise that I like being able to tell what time of year it is from the pages of my sketchbook. For that reason, I've been thinking Christmas-sy thoughts when looking for subject matter for the drawing a day recently.

These sprouts seems appropriate (I used to really dislike sprouts, but am making a big effort to like them now... smoked bacon seems to really help). I mentioned to my Mum that I had brought some sprouts when shopping... she instantly replied 'to draw?'... and she was right.

I drew them in pen, and then decided that a sprout really did need to be green...


so out came the watercolours. 

Then I realised I hadn't thought about my Christmas cards for this year, and so I measured the top of the sprouts and on another piece of paper (not in the book as not directly observed) some hats appeared...


... and finally with a bit of photoshop magic the sprouts donned the hats! Hurrah. Festive Sprouts.