Wednesday 6 November 2013

A Drawing a Day... where it began

In 2008, I decided to do a drawing a day. This was my New Years resolution.  The aim was to increase the amount of drawing I did, to keep a different kind of diary and to try an be a bit more spontaneous with the sketchbook - draw what I see, when I see it.

I made a couple of fairly strict rules for the drawing a day book...

  • It had to be directly observed
  • It had to be drawn on the day
I missed three (possibly 4) days during the whole year. It ended up being two books, both of which I love. They travelled wherever I did and documented the whole year.

At times it was a bit of a chore, and there were a few too many 'what can I see from the bed' drawings, as I was desperate to sleep but realised just before turning off the light that the drawing was yet to be done!

I was very happy to give it up on New Year's eve.

I had been toying with the idea of 2013 being a drawing a day year back in December, and then one of my Christmas presents was a sketchbook, the perfect size and so the decision was made for me! 2013 is another 'Drawing a Day' year.